MINISTRY OF WOMEN AFFAIRS AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT, UMUAHIA. ABIA STATE
In fulfillment of our mandate and in response to the world main developmental challenges, Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and Vision 20:20:20, the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development placed a high premium on policies that will enhance the living standard and welfare of Women, Children and persons living with Disabilities in the state.
Women account for over 50% of Abia State population; most of these women depend largely on Agriculture for a living and produce over 60% of food requirement in the state. This administration aims at developing and empowering them to the point that they can comfortably contribute to the state economy.
With the passage of the Child Rights Law and the returning of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Departments to the Ministry, this administration has shown greater commitments to the welfare of Women, Children, People with Disabilities (PWDs) and the ageing.
STATUTORY FUNCTIONS OF THE MINISTRY
The main functions of the Ministry are to;
Facilitate efforts in providing micro credits to the indigent women from donor Agencies (UNICEF, UNFPA).
– Strengthen the capacity of care givers, OVC, NCOS and CSO.
Sensitize Abia Women on issues of Child Rights, HIV/AIDS, Harmful traditional practices.
– Participation of Women in politics towards achieving over 35% afformative action.
– Initiate programmes that promote the economic empowerment of
– Formation of cooperatives that can access funds, provide micro credit and farm inputs.
– Provide decent health care delivery, in reducing maternal mortality and morbidity by collaborating with the Ministry of Health.
Strengthen the children’s Parliament through seminars, exchange programmes, debates, Radio/TV shows.
– Strenghten the Skills Acquisition Centre by increasing the Trainers and the Trainees to enhance self employment*
– To organise capacity building, workshops for Faith Based Organisations (FBOs), Community Based Organisations (CBOs) to enable them be more effective*efficient and provide services based on International Standard.
– Formulate and propagate moral values within the family units and in the public generally and to establish programmes with institutions and organisations to inculcate moral education in women and children.